Monday 4 March 2024

PADMAVA tHI

 

                                           PONANGI PADMAVATHI     TYAGARAJU

                                         TEACHER  AND RESEARCH SCHOLOR

 

 

    

               I am Ponangi Padmavathi Thyagaraju, a full time Carnatic classical musician. I am formally qualified as a post graduate from Andhra University. I am deeply influenced by the musical style Sangeetha Kalanidhi Dr. Nedunuri Krishnamuthry garu. My taking up the PG course in music after marriage (during 1991-93), going all the way from Mumbai (Bombay in those days)  to  Andhra University was primarily influenced by the fact that Nedunuri garu was at the helm of academics in that University in those years (early 1990s). It is the profundity of his music that drew me to join under him. His music is a combination of artistic rasa, vigor in presentation and scientific spirit that signifies Tanjavoor strand of Carnatic music. One may recollect that the three top composers – Thyagaraju, Muddswamy Deekshitulu and Syama Sastry hailed from the same district at the same time, around 200 years ago. 

             Having diligently imbibed this kind of music, I engaged myself with singing on platform and teaching the   rich Carnatic music. My students have earned diplomas and have been well appreciated. Down the line, again having drawn towards the songs of Annamacharya, a major part of which were set to apt tunes by Nedunuri garu, I happened to specialize in these songs, teach them to students and also present on the platform.

 

            In addition to staging conventional kacheri music, I laid my hands on jugalbandi and thematic concert such as Prahlada Bhakti Vijayam and musical ensemble.

I found my abiding interest not only in concert performances, but also in studying the roots of Carnatic music that existed even prior to the era of Thyagaraja swamy. To this end, I was awarded a research scholarship of the Council of Cultural Research & Training (CCRT) under government of India to study Sahaji’s opera called Vishnu Pallakee Seva Prabandham. To carry out this, I visited the palm-leaf archival library in Thanjavoor and rationalized the text of the whole prabandham by comparing with the available printed version brought out earlier by a veteran researcher Sangeetha Kalanidhi Prof. P. Sambamurthy. Then, I took opportunity of setting to appropriate tunes, to all the songs (over 50 of them). I taught these to students and staged the performances in Mumbai and in Thyagaraya Gana Sabha & Ravindra Bharati of Hyderabad.

 

                  I am conscious that a habit of listening to classical music shapes the personality. My further objective is to spread the bliss of classical music to the lesser exposed communities. Some of my personal details are as follows:

 

Date of birth: 23rd July, 1967

Parents: Smt Sarada Devi and Dr. Jagdish

Town  where brought up: Vijayawada, AP state

Year of marriage: 1989

Husband and his contact: Shri P.H. Thyagaraju, Scientist by profession, tele 9323564359.

Son: Chy. Rama, qualified in Masters in Energy and Environmental Law from George Washington University and working as Energy Policy Researcher in New York.

 

 MESSAGE TO YOUTH  AND STUDENTS

 

For students in any field that they pursue, commitment and patience is a must without which no progress can be made. They must be always respectful to their teachers.Sincerity, hard work and  patience   are essential  for them  to reach their goals.

 

ADDRESS

 

Flats 1204.1205 

TRIDHATU PRARAMBH

WAMAN TUKARAM MARG

CHEMBUR. MUMBAI,40071

Mobile 97692029,9699888110

 

No comments:

Post a Comment